Tasks of the Publicity Coordinator
Write an announcement with a teacher photo if available for the retreat with all pertinent info and provide it to the Email team to be sent to mailing lists.
The text and photos if any will be modified for use in website announcements by website team.
Ensure that a poster is prepared that provides the retreat date, venue, teacher, cost and other information about the retreat. See past retreat posters as examples. You can do this yourself or ask for a volunteer from Sangha.
Organize the production and printing of posters.
Have the posters hung around town several weeks prior to the retreat date (do it yourself or ask for volunteers).
- Option include:
- Port Townsend Co-op
- PT Library and County Library in Hadlock
- PT and Hadlock Post Office
- Cafes, restaurants and coffee houses
- Madrona Mind Body Institute
- Uptown businesses: Aldriches, Jefferson Land Trust, Community Center, Pan d’Amore
- Downtown businesses: Rose Theatre, Imprint Book Shop, Phoenix Rising, Elevated Ice Cream, Waterfront Pizza, Better Living Through Coffee, etc.
- Port area: Blue Moose Cafe, Sunrise Coffee House, etc.
- QFC, Safeway
- Port Hadlock, Chimicum, Sequim & Port Angeles businesses (ask for volunteers who live in these towns)
- SIMS website
Organize additional publicity:
Discuss with Retreat Manager whether current Sangha Retreat budget allows for paid ads in: Port Townsend Leader (also free ads in Community Bulletin Board and What’s Happening) or Peninsula Daily News
Write articles and submit to these newspapers (keep it short and sweet for a great chance of getting published; include a photo of the teacher). Note: lead time for submission is 10-14 days in advance of publication and there are three different submission types (articles, paid ads, and free placements in events).
Advertising in the online editions of the above two newspapers
Free ads in ptguide.com
Advertising on the Port Townsend Sangha website
KPTZ–Contact about an interview with the teacher (if willing) and/or a promotional message on their daily events calendar.